Friday, November 18, 2011

A little about me, to start


A deep fondness for wool and an abiding fascination with Nordic folk traditions both come naturally to me. Inspired by my family’s Scandinavian ancestry and my New England roots, I have been an award-winning craftsperson and sought-after fiber arts teacher for more than 40 years. Though I'm adept with wheel, hook, and needles, my greatest love is shaping fiber into three-dimensional forms. I delight both in crafting huggable creatures suited to the rough-and-tumble of child’s play, and in sculpting unique, carefully detailed folk-art figures for discerning adult collectors.

I have co-authored, with Betty Jo Lampley, two collections of knitted toy designs, and I've studied with internationally respected fiber artists, including Canadians Debbie New and Sally Melville, and Russian Natasha Fedeeva.

Working extensively with locally-produced produced fibers, in the traditional palette of Scandinavian folklore, I craft magical figures at my home studio in Gaithersburg, Maryland.



No comments:

Post a Comment